The Wild Rovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Great PSN Outage of 2011

5 posters

Go down

The Great PSN Outage of 2011 Empty The Great PSN Outage of 2011

Post  SpaZticHero Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:41 am

Well I guess I don't have to tell ya's all that much about the subject that hasn't already been reported in depth elsewhere...

In probably the biggest PR crisis of computer entertainment history, Sony's Playstation Network has been offline for over 10 days. In what was originally reported to be general maintainence was later revealed to be a full on attack on the companies online services. Now with the control of all online activity in the hands of an anonymous group of hackers and reports of up to 2.2 million credit card details available for sale online, it is rumoured that the attack could cost Sony somewhere in the range of €24 billion dollars.

Now those are just the basics, but this could potentially have further shock waves for possibly all forms of interactive media and if rumours of the next generation of consoles possibly being completely online oriented are true, this could prove catastrophic.

So... Opinions folks. Where d'yas see it going from here?

SpaZticHero
SpaZticHero
TWR Legend

https://www.facebook.com/AlrightYeah

Back to top Go down

The Great PSN Outage of 2011 Empty Re: The Great PSN Outage of 2011

Post  TWR PADZ Mon May 02, 2011 8:36 am

A LOT MORE PEOPLE ON XBOX HA HA HA!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
TWR PADZ
TWR PADZ

http://www.thewildrovers.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Elite IRL Tue May 03, 2011 1:07 pm

Definitely a major blow for Sony. I always found it hard to justify the price that Microsoft put on Gold but I suppose this is why its there. It's also rather scary to think that Sony's network was even capable of been hacked to the point that it was no matter the expertise of the hackers. If the next gen is to be online orientated then Sony will find it extremely hard to convince customers to buy their console no matter it's quality. It shall be very interesting to see if there is a major shift in numbers from Playstation to Xbox. Can people who have lost their credit card details lay their faith in Sony Playstation again?
Elite IRL
Elite IRL
Admin

https://thewildrovers.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  SpaZticHero Wed May 04, 2011 12:29 pm

TWR PADZ wrote:A LOT MORE PEOPLE ON XBOX HA HA HA!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Actually despite the obvious head start, PSN has dramatically more members than Xbox Live (2.5:1 ...roughly),

I'm actually getting very interested by how Sony could potentially responde at e3. With a reported 1 in 5 ps3 owners thinking bout making the move to xbl, they really can't afford to fuck around and need an ace now more then ever.
SpaZticHero
SpaZticHero
TWR Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  SmashingPilot Wed May 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Haven't heard much on this really but its a bit of a joke. Before this outage wasn't there a smaller hack of their online service?
Think it was related to the hocking jailbreaking scene of the console. Was trying to find a video about it but can't.
Just can't understand how such a large and powerful company can't defend themselves against these hackers.

SmashingPilot
TWR Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Elite IRL Fri May 06, 2011 1:56 pm

SpaZticHero wrote:

Actually despite the obvious head start, PSN has dramatically more members than Xbox Live (2.5:1 ...roughly),

I'm actually getting very interested by how Sony could potentially responde at e3. With a reported 1 in 5 ps3 owners thinking bout making the move to xbl, they really can't afford to fuck around and need an ace now more then ever.

Cant see what they could pull out of the bag though
Elite IRL
Elite IRL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  J Sat May 07, 2011 10:42 am

SpaZticHero wrote:

I would say the number is not that accurate considering psn is free and will have a lot of people creating more than one account. Happens on 360 but I would imagine to a lesser extent due to needing some sort of membership to play games online.
J
J
TWR Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  SpaZticHero Sun May 08, 2011 6:20 am

J wrote:
SpaZticHero wrote:

I would say the number is not that accurate considering psn is free and will have a lot of people creating more than one account. Happens on 360 but I would imagine to a lesser extent due to needing some sort of membership to play games online.

Think current reports have PSN at 77 million registered members, with XBL at roughly 30 mill or so.

Anyway, We're now approaching Week 3 and reports have started making the rounds is that EU citizens will be offered 2 free PS3 Games from a selection of 5 (Whether they're "Arcade" titles or full games, I 'unno) . Meanwhile US subscribers are being offered a years identity theft protection, with a $1 million insurance policy in their name.
SpaZticHero
SpaZticHero
TWR Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Elite IRL Fri May 20, 2011 7:39 am

They finally got it back up and running anyway
Elite IRL
Elite IRL
Admin